The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you. Don’t go back to sleep. -Rumi
By Noelle Rodriguez
There is that magic hour right before dawn breaks and the sky turns a beautiful orange hue. The stillness is palpable as the sky turns one shade lighter after another. As if the darkness that enveloped the night sky was but a fading dream.
If you pay attention, you can feel the energy in the air. It is rich and buzzing with the potential of the coming day. It’s the magic hour as vibrations are high. The birth of a new day.
There are many benefits to being awake at this hour.
I find mornings to be the best time for self-care. In the silent hour before the world wakes up, it is just you and your thoughts.
There are many things you can do to make the most out of this magic hour.
5 Things You Can Do
1. Journal. There’s no better time to be reflective. Write down your stream of consciousness in longhand. Don’t edit and don’t filter. In doing this, you get your subconscious thoughts out of your head and onto paper. Don’t be surprised if a sudden burst of creativity pops up this way. Creativity often lies buried under a muck of tiresome thoughts that can make up your day-to-day.
2. Be still. When water is calm, then you see your reflection. Taking time out to clear your mind of all those mundane thoughts allows you to access a deeper level of yourself. This is your inner being, your true self. The same self that pervades all things. Watch how you feel when you let your body be. If you feel emotion, then it’s a sign that your body is in need of healing. Your body is in its natural state when you feel a bubble of joy, a giggle and happiness, however faint.
3. Move your body (in a way that pleases you). Start with gentle movements, inviting the earth’s morning energy into your system. Simple stretches get the chi (life force) flowing more freely throughout your body. I like to do some yoga in the morning. I find that it wakes me up and leaves me feeling revitalized, ready to take on the day.
4. Set your intentions for the day. What better time to set your goals for the day than when the world is just waking up. There’s something about the stillness that brings calm to the mind and also powerfully backs up your intentions with the force of the universe. Let your wishes and dreams go in detachment and know that the universe is always on your side.
5. Begin your work. I think this is the secret to many a man’s success. Starting early before their comrades are even awake. This gives you a head start to your projects, and a very resolute one at that. The peace in the morning provides the space for additional insight that may be lost in the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
I know what you’re thinking. It’s too early! I thought the same way. I was a night owl for many years. I didn’t do anything drastic. I just let myself wake up 15 minutes earlier every day. Since I enjoyed my time alone, it started becoming easier for me to do.
Pretty soon, I was waking up a whole hour earlier, and then even earlier than that. I didn’t concern myself with what time I went to bed. My body just naturally wanted to rest earlier as well.
Getting up at dawn puts you back into the natural cycle of the world. Before lights and electronic devices were invented, people would rise with the sun and sleep when it got dark. Doing so is a huge factor in feeling strong and empowered. There is nothing that compares with the natural energy being one with the universe brings.
Try waking up earlier. Be gentle with yourself. Know that everything is a process of growth. Every day serves you in many ways. It’s up to you to see the magic in every hour of the day.
Editor’s note: This is a guest post by Noelle Rodriguez, founder of LiFE, a yoga, music and art studio in the Philippines. There, she spends her days meeting creative people and devising ways to further innovate in the health and wellness industry. She also teaches yoga and coaches people to be their greatest selves. You can learn more about her at www.noellerodriguez.com. You can follow her on Facebook and Instagram.
Photo credit: @MandukaYoga on Instagram
My favorite time of the day!!!
How beautifully said, and I completely agree. Also, when you wake up a little earlier to care for and center yourself, you can be better prepared to take on the demands of the rest of the day.
Really simple and powerful post Noelle. My personal journey with yoga began with five consecutive 6am classes. Appearing on the mat first thing in the morning – after my Morning Pages and intention setting is BIG part of my life since then. I’m totally immersed in the discipline and relish the conspiratorial air of the other yogis in the class. This is our moment of the day for self care.
Hello, I am sorry if I had to comment in this post. I would just like to share something you might be interested in. It is face yoga and your followers might be interested in it also. Please see the link to see a short video.
It’s really very good and helpful post but one thing I want to know if I wake up early than how to complete my necessary sleep hours ? Thank you
it’s really a gr8 article.